The first thing new Bible journalers ask for is a Bible journaling supply list.
But, buying supplies for Bible journaling can become overwhelming and expensive. Don’t worry, you get to choose what you want and what you don’t! There are no rules. You make up your own rules – yay!
Bible Journaling Supply List
The only thing you really need is access to the Bible (if you’re reading this post, you have access to many versions online), a piece of paper and a pencil. Of course when I say this many of my Bible journaling friends roll their eyes at me and tell me to go on.
Here are a few supplies that I recommend when you’re just getting started. Use a coupon at your craft store if you can! If you’re shopping online and make a purchase via our links, our ministry will receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting our mission to help others grow in the Word creatively.
Bible Journaling Supplies List – When You’re On a Tight Budget
- Paper or Notebook
- Coloring pencils – my favorite low-cost pencil set is from Crayola: http://amzn.to/2pLo6mD
- Gel pens – my favorite low-cost gel pen set is Lolliz:http://amzn.to/2pairTr
- Page protector – can be made out of a dollar store kitchen mat (see our 10-day course) or you can buy this one from Illustrated Faith: http://amzn.to/2q4FP9G
Bible Journaling Supplies List – Items Worth Saving For
- Journaling Bible – Please use our tool to help you find the right one for you: https://www.biblejournalingministries.com/bible-journal-selection-tool/
- Craft Mat – Here is a much cheaper version of the Ranger craft mat: http://amzn.to/2xKUzLQ
- Coloring pencils – my favorite soft-core pencil is form Prisma Color – http://amzn.to/2p1LtJB
- Gel pens – I love this budget set so it’s still here: http://amzn.to/2pairTr
- Gesso – Helps eliminate bleed through and works well if you’re using a lot of water in your Bible – Dina Wakley is my favorite http://amzn.to/2pajjqY, but Art Basics is a close second http://amzn.to/2pKgVck
- Gellatos – Of course, I would recommend these. I use them so much! http://amzn.to/2p1HYTy
- Shipping labels to use as stickers – These are the ones that I use that I’ve tested with my ph pen. Based on the test, I believe they’re acid-free. http://amzn.to/2vf7nZT (I purchased from seller named Universal Labels) and http://amzn.to/2wmWHIw.
- Watercolor-Kuretake makes a great set – http://amzn.to/2pKDKgc
- Skin Tone Watercolor – Love Jane Davenport – http://amzn.to/2ygqvei
- Precision pens – http://amzn.to/2qEevMB
- Acrylic paint – I don’t have a brand to recommend yet. I use Artist loft in 48 pack of small tubes. A little goes a long way.
- Washi Tape – I love the Illustrated Faith Brand – http://www.anrdoezrs.net/links/8285507/type/dlg/https://www.dayspring.com/nsearch/?q=washi+tape
- Momentum by Bible Journaling Ministries is a digital Bible journaling subscription program that allows you to print everything from the comfort of your home. More information can be found here: www.biblejournalingministries.com/momentum
- Illustrated Faith puts out a monthly kit that I try to purchase when I can. Everything is shipped directly to your home. http://www.anrdoezrs.net/links/8285507/type/dlg/https://www.dayspring.com/gift-shop/illustrated-faith
Remember, when you go to the store armed with your Bible journaling supply list, remember that you don’t need everything today. Be patient and enjoy the journey one item at a time!