To join us this month in Giving Thanks, simply use this article, grab the free calendar and mini-kit provided upon sign up at the bottom of this article, and get started! To join our Bible journaling family and share your thoughts and layouts head over to https://www.facebook.com/groups/BibleJournalingforBeginners.
There are multiple options to do the study. The devotional and kits are designed to help you take a deeper dive into the Word and start applying biblical principles to your life. They are not required, but they’re a fun way to grow in the Word creatively!
- Join Momentum – Momentum members get just about everything for only $25/month. Click here to learn more.
- Purchase the kit by itself -Purchase the devotional and kit for only $7. You’ll also get the How to Study Bible Topics Guide and worksheets. Click here to purchase.
- Free option – To get the calendar and free mini-kit, please scroll to the bottom of this article and register for our emails between November 1, 2019, and November 29, 2019. If you are on the email list and haven’t received it, please check your spam! The emails will begin sending out on the 1st!
What is Gratitude Journaling?
Gratitude journaling is a tool. A tool that really helps. All of us have something we can be grateful for. Writing it down can help you see what you already have, elevate your happiness, illuminate things you need to be aware of, and bring you closer to God.
It’s often easier to focus on what’s going wrong, what we haven’t accomplished, or what we don’t have than it is to be grateful for what we do have. Without gratitude, life can be lonely, depressing, self-serving, and dark. Gratitude journaling is the practice of reflecting on and recording things that you’re grateful for on a consistent basis. Essentially, you’re helping your brain focus on the positive aspects of your life. By doing so, you build up resilience against negative circumstances.
Benefits of Gratitude
The benefits of practicing gratitude are virtually endless. Gratitude enriches and energizes life, elevates, inspires, transforms, and brings you closer to God. Those who practice gratitude journaling experience significant improvements in all areas of life, including academics, relationships, and even how they deal with a crisis or tragedy. People who consistently practice gratitude by taking time to notice and reflect on what they’re thankful for feel more alive, have stronger immune systems, enjoy positive emotions, sleep better, and more freely express kindness and compassion. Gratitude doesn’t need to be for momentous occasions either. You could be thankful for something as basic as being grateful for the flowers in your garden, a child’s smile, sharing a delicious piece of cake with a friend, or being inspired by a specific Scripture during Bible study.
Gratitude Journaling Prompts
Gratitude seems like a simple enough principle, right? You can probably come up with a few things off the top of your head; giving thanks to God, your family, friends, being grateful for good health, overcoming an illness, etc. This may seem easy, but when you feel overwhelmed, it can be challenging to focus. That’s why prompts can be helpful.
A journal prompt is a statement, observation, or question that helps you contemplate your life and find things to be grateful for. Here are a few examples of prompts that will help you get started.
Giving thanks for God’s people
- I thank God for my friend _____, because….
- I thank God for my spouse ____, because….
- I thank God for my kids ______, because….
- I thank God for my pastor ______, because….
- A member of the family that I’m grateful for is _____ because they. . .
- A friend I treasure is _____, because they. . .
- I am grateful to my parent(s) because. . .
- Today a perfect stranger did something especially nice for me (let you go first in line, opened the door for you, gave me a beautiful smile, etc.).
- I am thankful to God for my son (or daughter) who brings pure joy into my life.
- I am thankful for the wonderful teachers I have in my life, including the Lord.
- Today I’m particularly grateful for. . .
- An author, artist, or musician whose work inspires me that I’m grateful for is…
Giving thanks for God’s places
- I thank God for my neighborhood because….
- I thank God for my church because….
- I thank God for this restaurant, store, gym because….
- The thing I appreciate most about my town is. . .
- I am thankful for how the beauty of the outdoors makes me feel. I feel ___ when I ____.
- I’m grateful for how outdoor pursuits compel me to be more “present.” I feel more present when _____.
- I give thanks to my church (Bible study, etc.) for helping me praise God and connect with incredible, like-minded, inspiring friends. I am specifically thankful for this place _____ because ____.
- I am grateful for beautiful places in my area where myself, family, friends, and pets can enjoy the fresh air and outdoor activities like _____.
- I’m so grateful to be able to give back to others in my community (volunteering, etc.) by….
Giving thanks for God’s provision
- I thank God for shelter. The place I live is….
- I thank God for my clothes, I recently…..
- I thank God for finances, I have had the opportunity to…..
- I thank God for my meal, today he has provided…..
- I thank God for my debt, it has taught me that…
- A positive benefit for today’s weather is. . .
- Aspects of my health and well-being such as…
- A piece of advice, a quote, or Scripture that inspired me today.
- Times when God has guided me out of the darkness into his nurturing light…
- The ability to reason, use common sense, and see the good in people.
Giving thanks for God’s plans
- I thank God for providing more than I ever anticipated when He…
- I thank God for the journey that has brought me to this day….
- I thank God that he is all-knowing and has my best interest at heart even when I feel like….
- I thank God for not providing ____ that I wanted when I was _____ because….
- Something that initially was a disappointment, but turned out to be a blessing from God was…
- I’m grateful for the fact that, while I may not know the plan God has for me, I know that wherever He leads me will be the right direction.
- I’m grateful to Jesus for providing His plan for my life (marriage, vocation, children, etc.) because…
- For providing special skills like (patience, artistic, sports abilities, etc.)
- For taking a step today that brought me closer to God’s plan for me.
Make Gratitude Journaling a Habit
We live in what feels like a thankless time, and it can be difficult to rise above the negative, encroaching culture that can cloud our judgment and overwhelm us. Making gratitude journaling a habit, reflecting on what you’re grateful for, can lead to a more content, happier, blessed life. All it takes is a few minutes of your time a day, and a gratitude journal (paper, note app, notebook, etc.) to record your thoughts. You can even do this in your Bible!!!!
On days when you’re feeling blue, reading back through your gratitude journal will help change your attitude as you’re reminded of God’s many blessings, and the great people and experiences you are blessed to have in your life. What are you grateful for today?
A man’s heart deviseth his way: but the Lord directeth his steps.
For the Lord God is a sun and shield: the Lord will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.
Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:
And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him.
Sneak Peek at This Month’s Momentum Technique Course:
This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.
Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;
Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.
We accept it always, and in all places, most noble Felix, with all thankfulness.
I will offer to thee the sacrifice of thanksgiving, and will call upon the name of the Lord.
Free Bible Journaling Templates Every Month!
As a member of our VIP list you'll receive freebies at least every month. You'll also receive the latest Bible journaling news, updates, and tutorials!
Thank you! You're on the list! Please check your email to confirm your subscription.
Remember to open our emails every time we send them so our system keeps sending them to you!