Freedom Journaling Devotional
There is no charge for joining the Freedom Bible Journaling challenge. Simply use this article, grab the free calendar and mini-kit provided upon sign up at the bottom of this article, and get started! To join our Bible journaling family and share your thoughts and layouts head over to https://www.facebook.com/groups/BibleJournalingforBeginners.
There are multiple options to do the study. The devotional and kits are designed to help you take a deeper dive into the Word and start applying biblical principles to your life. They are not required, but they’re a fun way to grow in the Word creatively!
- Join Momentum – Momentum members get just about everything for only $25/month. Click here to learn more.
- Purchase the kit by itself – Purchase the devotional and kit for only $7. You’ll also get the How to Study Bible Topics Guide and worksheets. Click here to purchase.
- Free option – To get the calendar and free mini-kit, please scroll to the bottom of this article and register for our emails between June 30, 2019 and July 31, 2019. If you are on the email list and haven’t received it, please check your spam! The emails will begin sending out on the 1st!
The Freedom Jar – A Tool for Breaking Free
The day I accepted Jesus Christ as my savior was the day I was liberated from the sins of this world and made holy in the presence of God. It was the first day that I took steps towards becoming the woman that God designed me to be.
To me, being free from the bondage of sin doesn’t mean that I don’t sin. After all, I’m human and live in a fallen world. It means that sin doesn’t have control over me. I’m no longer a slave to it. Because I’m not a slave to it, I address my sins and battle them daily. Do I win every battle? No. But I don’t stop trying.
I use many tools and actions to help me battle sin, including prayer, worship, Bible journaling, Bible study, daily devotionals, prayer walks. One tool that’s been helpful is the use of the Freedom Jar. I learned about the Freedom Jar in a Christian Weight loss program that I’m a part of (Faithful Finishlines). If you want to learn more about my journey, click here.
What is the Freedom Jar?
I use the Freedom Jar as a tool to help me overcome cravings, but you can use it for any area of sin you’d like to address in your life. It doesn’t replace prayer or any other Spiritual practices that you have.
In order to use the Freedom Jar, you’ll need to have an understanding of what battle you’re up against and a plan of attack. Write your plan down. For me, it’s a daily plan for the food that I’m going to eat. When I feel like going off my plan, I resist the urge and put a token in the jar. If the feeling still lingers, I wait for 10-minutes and then add another token to the jar. The goal is to get to 100 tokens, and the special reward is the knowledge that Satan didn’t win this round.
The Freedom Jar is supported by two Scriptures:
- Galatians 5:1 (WEB)- Stand firm therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and don’t be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.
- John 8:36 (WEB)- If therefore the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.
How to Make the Freedom Jar
1. Glass jar or any container
2. 100 marbles, beads, plastic chips, coins, tokens, or other small items
3. Alphabet stickers and other ephemera
Step 1: Find a container. I reused a glass pickle jar, but you can use any container. Glass is preferable since it makes a clinking sound when you add your items to it.
Step 2: Put 100 marbles in a container next to the jar.
Step 3: Decorate the jar with letters and stickers.
How to Use the Freedom Jar
1. Understand what sin you’re up against and write it down.
2. Why do you want to tackle that sin?
3. Create a plan to address that sin.
4. When you’re tempted to sin, stop, look at your Freedom Jar, and put a token in it.
5. If you still feel like sinning, wait ten minutes, then add another chip in the jar. Don’t distract yourself. Feel the emotions that you feel. Let them bubble up. I find that praying is helpful during this time.
6. Repeat until the craving dissipates.
A Piece of the Armor of God
I view the Freedom Jar as a piece of my Shield of Faith (Ephesians 6:10-18). Faith tells me that God keeps His promises even if I can’t see it. When I am tempted with food, instant gratification, or whatever, I can use the Freedom Jar to quickly recognize Satan’s tactics and extinguish his arrows with the sound of one “clink.” Let freedom ring!
Bible Journaling Freedom
Here are a few examples from this month’s Momentum course.
If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.
2 Timothy 1:7
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life. For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
2 Corinthians 3:17
Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.
The Lord is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?
Free Bible Journaling Templates Every Month!
As a member of our VIP list you'll receive freebies at least every month. You'll also receive the latest Bible journaling news, updates, and tutorials!
Thank you! You're on the list! Please check your email to confirm your subscription.
Remember to open our emails every time we send them so our system keeps sending them to you!